Friday, June 14, 2013

Crazy

It's probably the lack of sleep, constant motion, and end-of-school-year stress speaking here, but I think what I am about to do is Crazy.

I am excited, and I know it's going to be a wonderful summer.  But really?  6000+ kilometers on a bike, in 9 weeks?  I'm not even a cyclist! Oh and let's not forget that I'll be sleeping in a tent all nine of those weeks as well.  Maybe I should have volunteered to go along in the kitchen.  I know how to cook.  I know that I like cooking.  I still don't know if I like distance cycling.

The bike left last night.  Distant-relative Jake took it to GR for me, where it will board the Sea to Sea gear truck and travel to LA.  I sent along all my camping gear and most of my personal items for the summer.  I've never been packed 9 days before a trip before!

I rode with a fellow Sea to Sea-er and some friends on Saturday, 108km.  I was definitely the weakest link, slowing on the hills and then, of course, getting a flat tire.  They were gracious, and now I know how to fix a flat. Sort of. Actually, the best way to fix a flat is to cycle with people who are more talented and cycle-knowledgeable  than myself.  Done and done!

I've traveled over 1200 training KM outdoors, and spent the winter going to spinning classes.  That's enough, right?  It's not a race. It's not a competition.  (But I really don't want to be the slowest one!)

Thankfully excitement overtakes Crazy when I talk with other people.  No one tells me I can't do this.  So I guess I can.

But it's still Crazy.

One Week!



5 comments:

  1. so excited for you and for your adventure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing the exact right thing at the exact right time in your life, Shannon. God will be with you. (and the gear truck and fellow cyclists and great food at the end of the ride.)so go in confidence knowing you are being prayed for and you are loved. His strength is made great in your weakness.
    ...A

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a bit crazy. :-) But what is life without the craziness! I'm really excited for you and to follow along with this adventure. I think you can do it and am so inspired by you! Ride well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to have a crazy friend. You inspire me. As God says in song (have you ever wondered what his singing voice would be like?), "Go, my child, with my blessing, never alone.... Go, my child, I will keep you and give you peace."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all :)

    Cara, I loved that we ended Sunday's service with that song. I also smiled wide when Vicki said "be not afraid." I know she says it almost every service, but this week it stuck.

    ReplyDelete