Sunday, May 5, 2013

Real Riding #3

Today wasn't really supposed to be a huge biking day.  It was supposed to be a day of rest, some gardening, some down time (a nap?)... but when the weather is hot and sunny and an opportunity presents itself, we take it! Right?

I biked back and forth to church today, for a whopping 18km.  I gave the children's message regarding the tour, which was so much fun.  More about that in another post.

When I got home from church I had a message from a friend playing ultimate frisbee in Guelph.  I decided a ride to Guelph was in order, and she agreed to bring me home afterward.  I took the county roads north of Hwy 7 (Wellington Rd 30 and Marden Road) to avoid the treacherous traffic, for a ride that totaled 36.6 km.  I rode into a nasty wind the entire time.  I averaged 24.4 km/hr and didn't love it.  I have come to realize I strongly dislike riding into the wind.

I watched J play frisbee for a bit, we went for ice cream, and then I thought, what the heck, it's a nice day and I'd like to see what it's like to ride so far in one day.  I ate a homemade granola bar and away I went.  With the wind at my back I was able to average 28 km/ hr AND I got the maximum speed over 50km, which has been a goal all week!

The total for the day was 87km.  I'd admit, I wanted OFF that bike when I arrived home.  I was completely done, and did not want to do another kilometer.  That will go away, right?  Of course.

I figure that today was the closest thing I have to an example of what daily life will be like on the road this summer, complete with peeing in the bushes.  TMI.

I'd still like to have a bigger pack on the bike besides the small saddle bag I have.  I'd love your recommendations for what to put on the front of the bike (please, don't say basket.  I really, really want a bright coloured basket, but I'm afraid of being mocked).

1 comment:

  1. hey Shannon, JVE here.. it is my opinion that you should put antlers on the front of your bike.. peace :)

    ReplyDelete